Jamie Romeo

Rochester – Monroe County Clerk Jamie Romeo, who is the CSEA endorsed candidate running to keep her seat that Governor Andrew Cuomo appointed her to in February, will carry the Democratic line in the November general election, according to unofficial primary results released today by the Monroe County Board of Elections.

On Primary Election Day June 23, Romeo finished slightly behind challenger Jennifer Boutte when polls closed. However, more Monroe County voters cast absentee and affidavit ballots than visited polling sites. Romeo carried close to 65 percent of those 32,502 votes. With all ballots counted, Romeo received 57 percent of the 58,319 votes cast in the race while Boutte received the remaining 43 percent.

Prior to taking the county clerk position, Romeo held the 136th NYS Assembly District seat.

CSEA Western Region President Steve Healy says he never doubted that Romeo would win the primary. “Jamie is an excellent leader in government and a good friend to CSEA. CSEA is going to work very hard on her campaign to make sure we continue our partnership,” he said.

Romeo will face Republican County Legislator Karla Boyce in November’s general election. Romeo will also have the Working Families Party and Independence Party lines, while Boyce will have the Conservative Party line.

The Monroe County Board of Elections is expected to certify the results in the coming days.

-Ove Overmyer

Share.

About Author

Ove Overmyer is an award winning photojournalist and writer who has promoted the virtue of working people and the value of public service throughout his career. His work has been published by many well-respected international media outlets, including PBS Moyers & Co., Steward Update UCS Worker Institute Cornell ILR, CBS News, The Weather Channel, SCI-FY Channel, Associated Press and LOGO-TV. Before joining the CSEA Communications Department staff in 2015, Overmyer was a CSEA member employed by the City of Rochester and an officer of the union for more than 18 years. He covers a 14 county area of Western New York and lives in Rochester, NY.

Comments are closed.